"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Another week of the #BuyComicsByWomen experiment yields some interesting results for me; I'm definitely seeking out and finding some comics that may not have been on my radar if not for the experiment--with so many comics in the nope pile because no women writers or artists are working on them, I look around a bit more, and that has made for some more interesting reads, for sure. 

Yep Pile:

  • Help Us Great Warrior #5 Writer: Maddleine Flores   Art: Maddleine Flores   Cover: Becca Tobin -- I discovered Flores' webcomic just before she started publishing this comic, and it's been so fun to read.
  • 8house Arclight #1 Writer: Brandon Graham   Art: Marian Churchland   Cover: Marian Churchland  -- Definitely on my radar (mostly because of twitter!) and one of the series I'm most excited about.
  • No Mercy #4  Writer: Alex De Campi   Art: Carla Speed McNeil   Cover: Carla Speed McNeil Jenn Manley Lee -- De Campi's foray into real-world fiction is really well done. This is a series I might not have discovered if not for this experiment.
  • Zero #18 Writer: Ales Kot   Art: Tula Lotay   Cover: Tula Lotay  SERIES CONCLUSION -- Will we ever get a series with these two again? Hopefully. Sad it's ending, but it's been fantastic, and one of the most underrated comics of the past few years.
  • A-force #2 Writer: C. Willow Wilson   Art: Jorge Molina   Cover: Jorge Molina  -- Wilson is one of the few writers that make a book a must-have for me these days, and I don't love the Battleworld concept, but she makes it work in amazing ways. 
  • Princess Leia #5  Jordie Bellaire, colorist  Rachel Dodson cover, inker -- I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but digging this book, so I'm glad Bellaire and Dodson worked on it, though, c'mon, Marvel, give us a Leia book written by a woman!
Nope Pile:

  • God is Dead #27 -- This is/was one of my favorite guilty pleasures, but there hasn't been a female writer or artist on it since I started my experiment.
  • The Spire #1 4 covers, none by women. I love Si Spurrier, and this looks like a fantastic story with an interesting female protagonist, so this one hurts. So many dudes working on this book. If you have four covers, at least get one by a woman. I know I'm missing out on this one.
  • Arcadia #3 -- This one has a fantastically interesting conceit, exploring class issues through the sci-fi trope of virtual reality living. I'd love to check it out.
  • Baltimore Cult Of The Red King #3 -- Dark Horse continues it's astounding run of the ENTIRE Mignolaverse having no women writers or artists. I'm missing this one: I read the novel of Baltimore years back, and I'll be these are fun stories.  
  • American Vampire Second Cycle #8 -- Snyder has knocked this one so far out of the park that nobody even remembers Stephen King helped write the first five. But nary a woman artist in sight. 
  • Midnighter #2 -- I'll admit I cheated when I bought Midnighter #1 even though there are no women writers or artists working on it. It was the day that gay marriage won at the Supreme Court, I was at a special event at my LCS, and I overdid it a bit. It was a well-written book, and I would love to continue with this series, but alas...
  • 18 Days #1 -- I like checking out new (to me) Morrison books, but no women working on this one.
  • Nailbiter #14 -- I cheat with this one, because my partner buys it, so I get to read it anyway. Still--we're waiting for some promised guest covers by women!  
  • Satellite Sam #15 -- It's tough to resist the Fraction/Chaykin combination. I'll probably end up getting this as a trade, but I wish we could get some women working on the book. 
  • Darth Vader #7 -- Again, not a big Star Wars fan, but a big Gillen fan, so this is one I miss. 
  • We Stand On Guard #1 -- A comic by Brian K. Vaughan, Matt Hollingsworth, and Steve Skroce about future Canadians defending their country from an invasion of giant robots from the US? Normally this one would be a no-brainer.

No comments: